When you are in the cross-border e-commerce business, there is no getting around customs. Duty, value-added taxes (VAT), surprise surcharges are always going to be around when your merchandise crosses borders. We both know that customs’ issues can delay a product’s arrival. And if your customers are told they have to pay unexpected surcharges, this might just keep them from coming back to you.
These charges can be handled in different ways. Two alternatives could be:
- E-tailers opt to transfer the administration costs and surcharges to their customers who are then obliged to pay these on delivery.
- E-tailers opt to include customs clearance and handling fees in their sales price.
We have some great ideas on how to find the right way to conquer these challenges. We will help you choose a solution that fits you. Here are some options to consider:
- We’ll find a flexible solution based on the value of your shipment and your sales strategy.
- If the value of your shipment is low, we may advise you to send it as single mail pieces. We can clear freight in bulk and divide it into smaller parcels after passing through customs.
- If the value of your shipment is high, it might be better to get a bulk clearance where you pay duty and VAT for the whole shipment.
The advantage of the high value option is that your customer won’t have to pay this afterwards and there won’t be any unexpected charges. The cost of duty and VAT is included in the price. By choosing this solution, you will have a happy customer who should come back to buy more from you.
We can also bill you for distribution including duties and VAT which then allows you to consider these fees when quoting a price to your customer.
The main thing to remember is that we are here to help you. We offer quick, clear and comprehensive solutions to all our special destinations. We know the right way to the markets.
NEWS: A new fee will be applied on consignments to Sweden from countries outside the EU/EEA from 1 March 2018.